Calculate SAM of a Garment


SAM or Standard Allowed Minute is used for benefits of Company To set Line target & efficiency level, to analyze cost & profit  and have an Idea about Lead time what can help for doing the proper plan. For the assessment of cost manufacture a garment SAM value plays a very essential role. In past scientists and apparel technicians did study on how much time to be acceptable to do a job when one follows regular method during doing the job. According to the research study minute value has been defined for each movement needed to finish a job. 

 General Sewing Data (GSD) has defined set of codes for motion data for SAM calculation. There is also  other methods through which one can calculate SAM of a garment without using synthetic data or GSD. In this article both methods are explained in the following.

Step 1: Calculation of SAM 

SAM  also calculate using synthetic data. It is very effective method and easy method. In this method 'Predetermined Time Standard' (PTS) code are used to establish 'Standard Time' of a garment or other sewing products.

Step 1: 

First need to Select one operation for which you want to calculate SAM.

Step 2:  


 second need to Study the motions of that operation. Stand by side of an operator (experienced one) and see the operator how he is perform of doing it. Need to Note all movement used by the operator in doing one complete cycle of work. See carefully again and recheck your note if all movement/motion are captured and correct. (for example motions are like - pick up parts one hand or two hand, align part on table or machine foot, realign plies, etc.)

Step 3: 
Listed all motion sequentially in your own note. submit the synthetic data for TMU (Time measuring unit) values. For synthetic data you can refer GSD (without license use of GSD code forbidden but for individual use and study one can refer GSD code and TMU values) or Sewing Performance Data table (SPD). Now you got TMU value for one operation (for example say it is 400 TMU). Convert total TMU into minutes (1 TMU=0.0006 minute). This is called as Basic Time in minutes. In this example it is 0.24 minutes.
TMU calculate:  1 hour = 100000 TMU and  1 minute = 100000\60 =1667 TMU and 1 second = 1667/60 = 27.78 TMU  

Step 4: 
Standard allowed minutes (SAM) = (Basic minute + Bundle allowances + machine and personal allowances). Add bundle allowances (10%) and machine and personal allowances (20%) to basic time. Now you got Standard Minute value (SMV) or SAM. SAM= (0.34+0.025+0.044) = 0.40 minutes.
I like to provide you an article for better support for SAM calculation.

Secret Behind Calculation of Machine Time in SAM 

5 comments:

  1. Hello Blog owner,

    This article is copied from my blog. Please remove thing page from your blog.
    I will be thankful if you do so.
    Thanks
    Prasanta Sarkar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prasanta sarkar is right,online cloth studing

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am very impressed by the article. it was so understanding content. thanks
    how-to-calculate-sam-how-to-calculate-smv

    ReplyDelete
  4. I live in Madagascar ( East Africa),and life is worth living comfortably for me and my family now and really have never seen goodness shown to me this much in my life as I have been going through a problem as seriously as my son found a terrible accident last two weeks, and the doctors states that he needs to undergo a delicate surgery for him to be able to walk again and I could not pay the bills, then your surgery went to the bank to borrow and reject me saying that I have no credit card, from there i run to my father and he was not able to help, then when I was browsing through yahoo answers and i came across a loan lender Mr, Benjamin Breil Lee, offering loans at affordable interest rate I had no choice but to give it an attempt and surprisingly it was all like a dream, I got a loan of $ 110,000.00 to paid for my son surgery then get myself a comfortable business to help me going as well. I  thank God today is good and you can walk and is working and the burden is longer so much on me more and we can feed well and my family is happy today and i said to myself that I will mourn aloud in the world of the wonders of God to me through this God fearing lender  Mr Benjamin Breil Lee and I would advise anyone in genuine and serious need of loan to contact this God-fearing man on  ......  247officedept@gmail.com through .. and I want you all to pray for this man for me or Chat with him on whatsapp  +1-989-394-3740 as well.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete